Friday, January 11, 2013

So much for rules!


It’s been far too long since I’ve been here.  So much has happened.  You know my rule? “Nothing else that poops”? Yup. That's the one.  We broke it.
Over the last year all of our elderly cats passed away. One was 25, so she had a good long life!  After about three months of life with no pets, I we decided it was time to look at adoption.  We started looking at the web pages of different animal adoption organizations and finally made the decision to visit our local Humane Society.  While there, I bonded with a lovely cat. She was 4 years old and with a special promotion going on, the adoption fee would be waived.
Hubby decided he wasn’t quite ready to make the leap and adopt a cat yet.  We left the place with three crying children in tow.  They were devastated. (I have to admit, I wanted to cry too).  A couple of days passed and hubby started thinking again.  Unbeknownst to me, my husband had his eye on a kitten.  The reason he liked this kitten? It was a polydactyl kitten which meant it has extra toes.  The more we talked, the more we decided we would adopt the 4 year old and a kitten. Then hubby started feeling guilty. There were TWO polydactyl kittens there and they were litter mates. He was worried about separating them. I jokingly reminded him that we’ve had three cats before, so it’s not that big of a deal to add one more.  Right? (wrong! kittens are naughty!)

Upon my arrival at the Human Society, I gathered the slips with the info on each cat and took them to the adoption desk. The woman was confused and asked which one I was planning to adopt.  When I told her all three, even she looked at me like I was insane.  We had to go through a few extra steps and a lot more questions AND bring the family back for an interview, but we left with three cats as part of our family.

So much for rules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment