Thursday, April 7, 2011

Here we go again...

Little Dude (my youngest) has a speech delay.  Yup.  That's right.  Another child with a speech delay. 

I'll admit I noticed it earlier than I noticed my daughter's.  Unfortunately I was in denial and held off on calling early intervention (EI) for a couple of months.  I heard the same things from family and friends that I heard the first time around; "His brother talks for him."  Only this time, I also heard "He's a boy.  They are always a little slower to talk."  And my personal favorite, "He's probably just imitating his sister."

Shortly after he turned 2, I finally reached our EI department.  They came out promptly to test him and ask a boatload of questions I've answered before.  Again, I had to explain repeatedly that he can hear perfectly fine. There are no concerns there.  The only time he "can't" hear is when he chooses not to.  (He is two after all.)

With my daughter's Apraxia diagnosis, the EI people seemed to listen to me a little more this time around and were very careful when taking notes on his speech development.  At the end of the appointment, they told me they would be in touch, but they were recommending that he receive speech therapy services.  A month later, Little Dude started receiving his weekly visits from Miss K.

It's hard to believe it's been nearly 6 months since he started his speech therapy.  Sadly there hasn't been much improvement.  In fact, I've noticed that there are words he used to say that he no longer says.  He's using sounds and gestures more often.  I know a lot of that is probably because he's frustrated and can't say what's on his mind.  On the other hand, I don't know that we are doing all we can for Little Dude, so I just scheduled an appointment with a private SLP.  I think I'll call her Rock Star.  That's what she is for kiddos with speech problems.  She diagnosed my daughter with Apraxia when everyone was telling us it was a delay.  And by everyone, I mean EI, the school system, the SLPs at our hospital's speech clinic.  Everyone.  I learned about Rock Star through a good friend.  My gut was telling me Little Dude has Apraxia like his sister.  Now I'm not as sure.  I'll admit it.  I'm a little scared about what I might learn at this appointment, but I need to move out of this place called Denial.  It might keep me sane for a little while, but it's certainly no good for Little Dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment