Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Fascinating World of Preschoolers

Today my daughter begged to go outside. It was bitterly cold so the answer from Dad was "no". She begged and pleaded until he finally gave in while I was absorbed in another task.

She got herself ready and went outside. My husband told me I needed to look out the window because she was making snow angels. Yup. There in the snow was my adorable little angel, waving her arms and legs as she lay in the snow. The smile on her face was beautiful.

She didn't stay outside long. Just long enough to enjoy the beauty of the snow and get some fresh air. As she came inside, I asked if she was all done and she replied that her hands were too cold to stay outside. I began to help her take off her snow gear and that's when I discovered she got dressed for playing outside by herself. Without help from Dad.

I took off her lightweight knit gloves, all caked in snow and ice and I cringed. Her fingers were red and cold but she was babbling and enjoying the moment because she got her way and got to go outside to play. As I helped her off with her boots I cringed again - no socks. As I proceeded to help her with her coat, I was glad to see that although she had chosen pants that were much too lightweight for playing in the snow, at least she had on a long sleeve shirt.

As she stepped away from the pile of cold weather gear and the puddles of melting snow, she began to take off the rest of her clothes and strip down to her bathing suit. Yes, a bathing suit.

I took a moment to compose myself and then asked her about this interesting clothing choice. "Mommy, I need it for my pretend lake."

I watched as she walked to the living room, climbed onto the couch and then jumped as if she was jumping off the side of a pool. She laughed gleefully and proceeded to run around in the "water". I will never cease to be amazed at the fascinating and imaginative world of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment